- A Comprehensive Blood Work Panel is a very informative and affordable test which is often over-looked. I highly recommend it for all my clients. Unlike most conventional blood tests, this panel checks a wide range of markers to help give a complete picture of one's health. This includes markers for lipid, renal, thyroid, liver and gallbladder, blood sugar, nutritional, inflammation, cardiovascular, hematological, and immune disorders and risks.
- By using a "functional" analysis of blood markers, disruptions in metabolism can be detected. These may be missed when using a conventional screening that usually looks only for disease.
- Genetic testing can help to uncover the root cause of one's imbalances and allow for a better understanding of what is going on.
- Everybody has different genes. Some people can tolerate alcohol well, while others cannot. Some love to binge on carbs, while others naturally prefer more protein in their diet. Some people have strong focus, while others like to multitask.
- Getting to know your genes can be very insightful, and can also help you to better support your body nutritionally, allowing for optimal health, weight, and mood.
Micronutrient and Organic Acid Testing
- The human body is a complex machine. Producing energy requires many nutrients. Be it optimizing athletic performance, overcoming fatigue, optimizing mood, or achieving an ideal weight goal, an organic acids test can be a very useful tool.
- Deficiencies and imbalances of nutrients such as B vitamins, fatty acids like omega 3s and 6s, important minerals, toxic elements, antioxidants like CoQ10, important vitamins, lipoic acid, glutathione, and also intestinal related markers like those for digestive function and gut bacteria can be determined.
- Healing the gut can be very important when seeking an ideal weight or even for a balanced mood. Tests like GI Effects by Genova Diagnostics can be very useful to help guide nutritional recommendations for improving intestinal function.
- Markers include those for inflammation, dysbiosis, diversity of the gut microbiome, digestion and absorption, hormone metabolism, short chain fatty acids, and infection. Taking back your gut health can be challenging, but this test can make it easier.
- I encourage you to check out some Ted talks on the subject such as "Mind Altering Microbes" by Elaine Hsiao.
- Cortisol is a hormone released by the adrenal glands in response to various stressors such as emotional or physical. Some of its functions are to help regulate blood sugar and the immune system. Abnormal cortisol rhythms can cause various problems like insomnia, weight gain and even depression.
- You can test your cortisol slope by taking a saliva sample four times throughout the day. Cortisol levels should be high in the morning and taper down in the evening. If levels are too low, too high, or reversed, it indicates a problem. Changes to diet and lifestyle, exercises such as meditation, as well as certain herbs can help normalize an abnormal cortisol curve.
Food Sensitivity Testing
- Food is not just nutrition for the body, it is also information. Some foods can set off inflammatory reactions in people, causing fatigue, pain and inflammation, and can even contribute to weight gain.
- A comprehensive food sensitivity test can help one to optimize their diet for better health, as well as serve as a screening tool for "leaky gut".